After Coughlin ranked fifth on NFL.com’s list of active head coaches in the league earlier this week, Sporting News took its rankings a few steps further.
The staff over there set out to find how, for example, the Giants head coach would stack up against not only different sports but at various levels as well. Professional or collegiate, Sporting News ranked the top 25 active coaches across the major sports in the United States.
Coughlin, who contributed two of the 48 combined championships between those on the list (Super Bowls XLII and XLVI), came in at No. 7. He was one spot ahead of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino and one behind Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer.
"When it comes down to old-school disciplinarians with a new-school touch, the almost septuagenarian has it down pat,” Vinnie Iyer wrote. “It would be nice if there was steadier regular-season success to go with those Super Bowl rings, but his work in the brutal, always challenging NFC East still should deserve the utmost respect. He's definitely the most venerable of NFL coaches."
Here is a look at Sporting News’ top 10 active coaches:
1) Greg Popovich, NBA, San Antonio Spurs
2) Nick Saban, NCAA Football, University of Alabama
3) Bill Belichick, NFL, New England Patriots
4) Mike Krzyzewski, NCAA Basketball, Duke University
5) Pete Carroll, NFL, Seattle Seahawks
6) Urban Meyer, NCAA Football, Ohio State University
7) Tom Coughlin, NFL, New York Giants
8) Rick Pitino, NCAA Basketball, University of Louisville
9) Bruce Bochy, MLB, San Francisco Giants
10) Billy Donovan, NCAA Basketball, University of Florida
CLICK HERE For the complete list.