The Giants released their first unofficial depth chart of training camp on Thursday, the key word being “unofficial.”
1. Devon Kennard is the lone rookie starter. Due primarily to Jon Beason (foot) currently being on PUP, fifth-round draft choice Devon Kennard opens up as the starting strongside linebacker with Jameel McClain in the middle and Jacquian Williams at weakside. Kennard, a USC product, impressed coaches starting with organized team activities (OTAs) and minicamp in the spring. He’s doing the same in training camp. Behind Kennard is another rookie, Dan Fox out of Notre Dame.
2. Larry Donnell leads the tight ends. All eyes have been on the tight end position this summer, and without an incumbent, the speculation has differed on which one will be the starter. Right now, the man is Larry Donnell, who was originally picked up by the Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2012. Behind him, in order, are Daniel Fells, undrafted rookie Xavier Grimble, Kellen Davis and Adrien Robinson.
3. Mike Patterson starts at defensive tackle opposite Cullen Jenkins. After Linval Joseph, who started the last three seasons for the Giants, went to Minnesota in free agency, the question became who will take his place. The Giants have two up-and-comers in Johnathan Hankins, last year’s second-round draft choice, and Markus Kuhn, their 2012 seventh-round selection, but the veteran Patterson starts on top. Meanwhile, Jay Bromley, a rookie third-round draft choice, is third on the depth chart behind Hankins.
4. Recently-cleared David Wilson opens up as the No. 2 running back. Wilson, who was just cleared on Monday for full participation in camp after a neck injury he suffered last October, is listed second behind offseason acquisition Rashad Jennings.
5. Eight offseason additions claim top spots. Of the 28 positions, including the six special teams roles, eight new Giants lead their groups -- three on offense (LG Geoff Schwartz, C J.D. Walton, RB Rashad Jennings), three defense (SLB Devon Kennard, MLB Jameel McClain, LCB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie), and two special teams (KR Quintin Demps, PR Trindon Holliday).
7. Mathias Kiwanuka starts opposite Jason Pierre-Paul. Veteran defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka, one of the last remaining Giants who were part of both Super Bowl XLII and XLVI teams, starts at left defensive end with Jason Pierre-Paul on the right side. Robert Ayers Jr., who was brought in as a free agent following Justin Tuck’s departure, is behind Kiwanuka, while second-year pro Damontre Moore backs up Pierre-Paul.
8. Eric Herman slides to center. Labels don’t mean much to offensive linemen because they pride themselves on versatility. But Herman, a seventh-round draft choice from last year, was typically slotted at guard but now is at third-string center.
|WR||Rueben Randle||Odell Beckham Jr||Mario Manningham||Marcus Harris
|LT||Will Beatty||Charles Brown||James Brewer||Rogers Gaines|
|LG||Geoff Schwartz||Dallas Reynolds||Jamaal Johnson-Webb|
|C||J.D. Walton||Weston Richburg||Eric Herman|
|RG||Brandon Mosley||John Jerry||John Sullen|
|RT||Justin Pugh||Troy Kropog||DeMarcus Love|
|TE||Larry Donnell||Daniel Fells||Xavier Grimble||Kellen Davis
|WR||Victor Cruz||Jerrel Jernigan||Julian Talley||Preston Parker
|QB||Eli Manning||Ryan Nassib||Curtis Painter|
|FB||Henry Hynoski||John Conner|
|RB||Rashad Jennings||David Wilson||Peyton Hillis||Andre Williams
|LDE||Mathias Kiwanuka||Robert Ayers||Kerry Wynn||Jordan Stanton|
|LDT||Cullen Jenkins||Johnathan Hankins||Jay Bromley|
|RDT||Mike Patterson||Markus Kuhn||Kelcy Quarles||Everett Dawkins|
|RDE||Jason Pierre-Paul||Damontre Moore||Kendrick Adams||Emmanuel Dieke|
|SLB||Devon Kennard||Dan Fox||Spencer Adkins|
|MLB||Jameel McClain||Mark Herzlich||Terrell Manning||Jon Beason|
|WLB||Jacquian Williams||Spencer Paysinger||Justin Anderson|
|LCB||Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie||Trumaine McBride||Zack Bowman||Travis Howard|
|RCB||Prince Amukamara||Walter Thurmond III||Jayron Hosley||Charles James II
|FS||Stevie Brown||Quintin Demps||Thomas Gordon||Kyle Sebetic|
|SS||Antrel Rolle||Cooper Taylor||Nat Berhe||CJ Barnett|
|PK||Josh Brown||Brandon McManus|
|KR||Quintin Demps||Trindon Holliday||David Wilson||Preston Parker
|PR||Trindon Holliday||Rueben Randle||Jerrel Jernigan||Preston Parker