The preseason series between the Giants and the Jaguars is tied at 3-3 entering Friday’s game. The Giants are 1-2 at Jacksonville in the preseason, with their lone win, 24-17, coming in the first preseason game between the teams on Aug. 2, 1996. This will be Tom Coughlin’s first time coaching a preseason game in Jacksonville where he was the head coach from 1994-2002.
The Giants lead the regular season series 3-2. The teams’ most recent matchup occurred on Nov. 28, 2010, when Coughlin led the Giants to a 24-20 victory over his former team. This is the first head coaching matchup between Coughlin and Mike Mularkey, who takes over in 2012 as just the third head coach in Jaguars franchise history.
In Week 12 of the 2010 NFL regular season, the Giants defeated the Jaguars, 24-20, at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.
Josh Scobee kicked a 22-yard field to begin the second quarter, but after a 7-play, 64-yard drive, Tynes made his second field goal of the day, from 29 yards out. Leading 10-6, the Jaguars extended their lead to 11 when David Garrard scored on a 5-yard touchdown run with 19 seconds left in the first half.
Tynes’ third field goal, a 28-yarder, cut the Giants’ deficit to 17-9.
Scobee kicked a field goal to give the Jaguars a 20-17 lead, but Manning responded by leading the Giants on a 6-play 69-yard drive that ended with the game-winning 32-yard touchdown pass to Kevin Boss. That touchdown marked the 20th game-winning drive of Eli Manning’s career.
- Tom Coughlin was the first head coach in Jaguars history (1994-2002).
- Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride was as the Jaguars’ first offensive coordinator in 1995-96.
- Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell was the defensive backs coach for the Jaguars from 1998-2002.
- Running backs coach Jerald Ingram held the same position with the Jaguars from 1994-2002. Jacksonville was the only team to rush for 2,000 yards each season from 1998-2000, including an NFL-leading 2,091 in 1999.
- Strength and conditioning coach Jerry Palmieri worked for eight seasons (1995-2002) in Jacksonville under the same title.
- Giants’ cornerback
- Jaguars Assistant Defensive Backs Coach Thom Kaumeyer played for the New York Giants from 1991-1992.
- Jaguars offensive tackle Guy Whimper was originally drafted by the Giants in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL Draft, and played with them from 2006-2009.
- Jaguars CB Aaron Ross spent five seasons (2007-2011) with the Giants after being drafted in the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft.
The Giants are 35-25-3 in preseason openers since 1950. Last year, the Giants began their preseason schedule with a 20-10 loss in Carolina before routing the Chicago Bears, 41-13, in MetLife Stadium.
COUGHLIN IN THE PRESEASON
The Giants are 16-16 in the preseason under Coughlin, including 2-2 last year.
TOM COUGHLIN AND THE JAGUARS
Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin was the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars from 1994-2002. Coughlin led Jacksonville to two AFC Championship games. He has also led the Giants to two NFC Championship games, making him just one of just six coaches in NFL history to lead a team to the conference championship game in both conferences. From 1996-1999, Coughlin led the Jaguars to four consecutive post-season berths, and is one of only three coaches in NFL history to accomplish that feat with two different teams. During his tenure, Coughlin coached the Jaguars to a 68-60 record, plus a 4-4 postseason record.