*Here are five things to know about the Giants' new CB Valentino Blake: *
- A 5-foot-9, 198-pound cornerback, Blake signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars as an undrafted free agent out of Texas El-Paso (UTEP) in 2012. He was claimed in September 2013 by the Pittsburgh Steelers, where he played the next three years. Blake spent last season as a member of the Tennessee Titans secondary.
2. The 27-year-old CB started 16 games for the Steelers in 2015. He recorded a career-high 76 tackles, one sack and two interceptions, including a 70-yard touchdown return off of Philip Rivers. For his career, Blake has 183 tackles, 23 passes defended and three interceptions in five NFL seasons.
- Born Antwon Valentino Blake, the cornerback officially dropped Antwon and started going by Valentino as his first name at the start of last season. Blake also likes to go by the nickname "Zilla", which he earned during his freshman year at UTEP from one of his strength coaches. Zilla was short for Godzilla, after Blake showed prowess in the weight room.
4. Blake was a two-year starter at Thurgood Marshall High School in Missouri City, Texas. He garnered All-District 23-5A Honors as a senior and captained a squad which posted a 7-3 record, good enough for second place in the district. He helped lead the Buffs to a district title the year before in 2006.
- Blake is originally from Jacksonville, Florida. During his college career, Blake was known as a gunner on special teams, in addition to shutting down opposing wide receivers. He totaled 137 tackles, one sack, two forced fumbles and an interception during his three seasons with the Miners (2009-2011).
The Giants have signed former Steelers and Titans DB Valentino Blake