*Eli Manning is among the players that will sit out tonight's Giants vs. Steelers preseason opener: *
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Neither of the two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks selected early in the 2004 NFL Draft will play tonight when the Giants host the Pittsburgh Steelers in the preseason opener for both teams.
The Steelers had previously announced that Ben Roethlisberger would sit out and rookie Joshua Dobbs would start. Dobbs is a fourth-round draft choice from Tennessee.
The Giants said 90 minutes before the game that Manning will not play. Josh Johnson will start in his place.
Manning was one of three veterans who were given the night off by head coach Ben McAdoo. The others are defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul and cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Romeo Okwara will start at left end for JPP.
This will be the ninth preseason game (out of 54) Manning will miss since joining the Giants in 2004:
• Aug. 26, 2005 vs. the Jets: elbow sprain
• Sept. 1, 2005 at New England: elbow sprain
• Aug. 28, 2008 vs. New England: coach's decision
• Aug. 21, 2010 vs. Pittsburgh: Manning had 12 stitches in his forehead after suffering a cut in the previous week's game vs the Jets, which was the first game played in MetLife Stadium.
• Sept. 1, 2011 at New England: coach's decision (the game was played 72 hours after the Giants faced the Jets in a contest that was postponed 48 hours by Hurricane Irene).
• Sept. 3, 2015 at New England: coach's decision.
• Aug. 12, 2016 vs. Miami: coach's decision.
• Sept. 1, 2016 vs. New England: coach's decision.
• Aug. 11, 2017: coach's decision.
Seven other Giants players will not suit up because of injury: wide receivers Sterling Shepard (ankle), Tavarres King (ankle), and Kevin Snead (lower body); linebackers Keenan Robinson (concussion) Mark Herzlich (stinger); defensive tackle Robert Thomas (soreness), and safety Ryan Murphy (lower body).
Linebacker J.T. Thomas (knee) and running back Shaun Draughn (ankle) are the active/physically unable to perform list and are not eligible to play.
Will not play
QB Eli Manning
CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
DE Jason Pierre-Paul
Out due to injury
WR Tavarres King
S Ryan Murphy
LB Mark Herzlich
LB Keenan Robinson
WR Kevin Snead
DT Robert Thomas
S Mykkele Thompson
OL Jessamen Dunker
Josh Johnson at QB
Romeo Okwara at LDE
This week's game will be televised on locally on WNBC 4 NY and nationally on NFL Network.
GIANTS RADIO NETWORK
The game will be broadcast on WCBS 880 AM and on the Giants Radio Network affiliates, and on SiriusXM channel 88 and SiriusXM internet channel 821. The 'Giants en Español' radio broadcast will be on WQBU 92.7