1. No need to redo. Continuing his "Draft Do-Over" series, former NFL scout and NFL.com contributor Bucky Brooks looked at the 2004 NFL Draft, which produced Eli Manning out of Ole Miss. Not surprisingly, Brooks saw no reason to change the course of events that brought a future two-time Super Bowl MVP to the Giants. But that's not the case for everyone. Below is a look at the first five picks of the 2004 class, followed by any changes Brooks would
make if he could go back in a time machine:
- San Diego Chargers: QB Eli Manning
- Oakland Raiders: OT Robert Gallery (Do-Over: QB Ben Roethlisberger)
- Arizona Cardinals: WR Larry Fitzgerald
- New York Giants: QB Philip Rivers
- Washington Redskins: S Sean Taylor
2. Early Power Rankings. The Giants were ranked No. 19 in NFL.com's latest power rankings. "Perhaps it's a product of the win-now salary-cap era, but the Giants won the Super Bowl just 25 months ago, and yet, nobody talks about them as potential contenders," Elliot Harrison wrote. "Make no mistake, GM Jerry Reese is thinking about winning, as Big Blue has been busy busy busy in the free-agent marketplace." CLICK HERE to find out how the Giants' NFC East foes stack.
3. Change the goal posts? On Wednesday, there was an NFL Competition Committee conference call with the media in advance of next week's annual league meeting. Potential rule changes that will be brought up at the meeting were discussed, including:
- New England proposed to extend the goal post an additional five feet above the cross bar.
- New England proposed to move the line of scrimmage for extra points to the defensive team's 25-yard line in order to make the point after a more competitive play.
CLICK HERE to read more proposed rule changes.
4. On the clock. We're now under 50 days away from the 2014 NFL Draft, which will run from May 8-10. The Giants hold the 12th pick in the draft, and some of the names being floated around by experts from the media include TE Eric Ebron (UNC), OT Taylor Lewan (Michigan), OT Jake Matthews (Texas A&M), and WR Mike Evans (Texas A&M). CLICK HERE to check out our updated mock draft tracker.
5. The Giants have gone mad. The 2014 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament tipped off yesterday, and NFL players are fans of March Madness just like us.
One of the reasons I set up the two tv man room is for this weekend! Let the games begin! #MarchMadness
— Geoff Schwartz (@geoffschwartz) March 20, 2014
EISEN'S MAILBAG: Do you have a question for Giants.com's Michael Eisen? CLICK HERE
1 San Diego Chargers: QB Eli Manning
2 Oakland Raiders: OT Robert Gallery (Do-Over: QB Ben Roethlisberger)
3 Arizona Cardinals: WR Larry Fitzgerald
4 New York Giants: QB Philip Rivers
5 Washington Redskins: S Sean Taylor
6 Cleveland Browns: TE Kellen Winslow Jr.
7 Detroit Lions: WR Roy Williams (Do-Over: RB Steven Jackson)
8 Atlanta Falcons: CB DeAngelo Hall
9 Jacksonville Jaguars: WR Reggie Williams (Do-Over: DE Jared Allen)
10 Houston Texans: CB Dunta Robinson (Do-Over: DT Vince Wilfork)