Giants.com brings you an inside look at Monday's minicamp practice: :
On Monday, the Giants held their first of three minicamp practices which will wrap up the offseason program. The team will then break for six weeks and return for training camp at the end of July.
Here's what I spotted at practice:
• The first practice of minicamp gave the players a feel for what New Jersey can be like during the during Training Camp in August. It was in the 90's and the players were on the field for just over an hour and a half in the bright sun. One funny moment came during one of the TV timeouts (designated break periods for guys to rest and hydrate) when a group of veterans found the one small patch of shade on the field underneath one of the lifts used by the video department to film practice. It might as well have been a defensive huddle.
• Being from Florida, offensive lineman Ereck Flowers knows about heat and he flaunted it today by wearing long pants and a hoody under his jersey. Linemate Bobby Hart, a fellow Floridian, had his hood up for parts of practice as well.
• Michael Hunter Jr., playing with the first team in place of an ill Eli Apple, did a great job of staying with Brandon Marshall on a shallow route across the field. Marshall caught the ball but had nowhere to go and would have been short of the first down marker.
• Stansly Maponga, a defensive lineman by trade, has been getting looks at linebacker due to his athleticism at 6-foot-2 and 265 pounds. Tight end Matt LaCosse caught him in a one-on-one situation during seven-on-seven, created separation and made the catch. A couple of plays later, LaCosse caught another pass but linebacker Mark Herzlich made a veteran play and knocked it out from behind.
• Quarterback Geno Smith thought he had wide receiver Tavarres King down the field for a big gain but cornerback Nigel Tribune made a nice play on the ball and prevented the catch.
• Safety Nat Berhe got some opportunities with the first team with Darian Thompson missing practice due to illness.
• Tight end Jerell Adams had a nice blitz pickup on a linebacker during no-huddle, giving Eli Manning the time to find wide receiver Sterling Shepard over the middle for a touchdown. Shepard had a nice day creating separation.
• We saw the jump cut from running back Wayne Gallman on display. There was no room in the middle so he bounced it outside and found some room for a good run off right tackle. Gallman caught a touchdown pass later in practice,
• Jadar Johnson got his hands on a short pass and knocked it up in the air. It was intercepted by Eric Pinkins and could have been returned for a touchdown.
• Defensive end Devin Taylor showed up again with a what would have been a sack during the team portion of practice. I also think he was the one to get his hand on a pass near the line of scrimmage. Avery Moss got his hands on a pass near the line of scrimmage as well.
• Quarterback Davis Webb completed five straight passes to start his seven-on-seven portion of practice, three to wide receiver Travis Rudolph, one to tight end Evan Engram and one to Gallman.
View the best photos from the Giants' first minicamp practice