They say keep your friends close, but your divisional rivals closer.
With that in mind, each week Giants.com takes a look at the latest news and happenings around the NFC East:
NEW YORK GIANTS (4-4, 2-2 NFC EAST)
Week 8: L, 52-49 @ Saints (4-4) *Streak:Lost 1 Next: @ Buccaneers (3-4)*
• The Giants and Saints combined for 101 points, the third-highest total for a single game in NFL history. Eli Manning threw a career-high six touchdowns while his counterpart Drew Brees became the eighth player in league history to throw seven scores. Overall, the game featured 1,030 yards of offense and 63 first downs. The Giants' 4-4 record is their best mark at the midway point of the season since 2012 when they were 6-2. Through eight games, the Giants were 3-5 last season and 2-6 in 2013.
• Tight end Larry Donnell was carted off in the first half of the Saints game with a neck injury and did not return. Running back Orleans Darkwa (back) and right guard Geoff Schwartz (ankle) were also forced to leave. Middle linebacker and defensive captain Jon Beason missed Sunday with an ankle injury, and cornerback Prince Amukamara missed his third-straight game with a pectoral injury.
WASHINGTON REDSKINS (3-4, 1-1 NFC EAST)
Week 8: BYE *Streak:Won 1 Next: @ Patriots (7-0)*
• Wide receiver DeSean Jackson, who has not played since injuring his hamstring in the first quarter of Washington's opener, is optimistic about playing this Sunday against the undefeated Patriots.
"[I] was able to go out there without feeling it so that's a good thing," Jackson told reporters today. "Today, it's early, it's Monday, so I didn't try to go full speed, top speed, I just got in a groove, feeling good and everyday we'll be a build on day, leading up to Sunday."
• Coming off the bye week, the Redskins will also await the statuses of cornerbacks DeAngelo Hall (toe), Chris Culliver (knee), and Bashaud Breeland, in addition to center Kory Lichtensteiger (neck), linebacker Ryan Kerrigan (hand), and running back Chris Thompson (back). **
PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (3-4, 1-2 NFC EAST)**
Week 8: BYE *Streak:Lost 1 Next: @ Cowboys *
• Philadelphia's first four games out of the break are against opponents with a combined record of 9-20: at Dallas (2-5), vs. Miami (3-4), vs. Tampa Bay (3-4), and at Detroit (1-7).
• Rookie wide receiver Nelson Agholor, the Eagles' first-round draft pick, has missed the last two games with an ankle sprain. Linebackers Kiko Alonso, DeMeco Ryans, and Mychal Kendricks have all missed time heading into the bye week, and offensive tackle Jason Peters looks to return after leaving their last game with back spasms. **
DALLAS COWBOYS (2-5, 2-1 NFC EAST)**
Week 8: L, 13-12 vs. Seahawks (4-4) *Streak:Lost 5 Next: vs. Eagles*
• All-Pro wide receiver Dez Bryant was targeted six times and caught two passes for 12 yards in his return from a broken foot that he suffered in Week 1 against the Giants.
• The Cowboys lost their fifth-straight game without Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo, who will miss at least two more weeks with a broken collarbone as he remains on the injured reserve/designated to return list. Brandon Weeden lost the first three starts in his absence, and Matt Cassel has lost the last two.
Gameday Photo timeline from the Giants Week 8 matchup against New Orleans Saints