Welcome to another edition of Papa's Perspective. The New York Giants kick off their 2013 season Sunday night in Dallas against the Cowboys.
What better way to start the season than against a division rival, a team that you know a lot about, and a team that you have a great battle with each and every year. Here are some of the things from the Giants that I'm looking forward to seeing:
- One of the mantras in the offseason and throughout training camp has been the emphasis on being a physical football team and adding toughness. That starts on the defensive side of the ball.
- Last year the Giants were last in the NFL in forcing opponents into three-and-outs. So what do the Giants do? They drafted Johnathan Hankins, they brought in Cullen Jenkins, they brought in Mike Patterson, and they have Shaun Rogers back from injury – all defensive tackles. Add to that Damontre Moore, who's athletic from the defensive end position, Mathias Kiwanuka back on the defensive line, and of course the Giants have Jason Pierre-Paul and Justin Tuck.
- The mindset of this football team has to be stopping the run and getting opponents into that third-and-long situation in which the Giants can unleash that pass rush.
- Giants head coach Tom Coughlin has reiterated all spring and summer that this team needs to be better in the physical component. It all starts at the point of attack with the offensive line and the defensive line.
- The Giants have made the necessary changes. They've worked at it out on the practice field. Now they need to go out and execute it on Sunday night against the Cowboys. That's my perspective and thank you for joining us. Make sure you join me each and every week for another edition of Papa's Perspective.