Here are the 10 best coaches in the NFL, as ranked by CBS Sports' Pete Prisco
With all the head coaches gathered in Phoenix for the NFL Annual Meeting, senior CBS Sports columnist Pete Prisco thought it would be a good time to stack up the 32 men.
And not just for a group photo.
Rather, Prisco ranked them from top to bottom, and Giants head coach Tom Coughlin came in at No. 4, one spot behind Mike McCarthy of the Packers and one ahead of the Ravens' John Harbaugh.
Pete Carroll of the runner-up Seahawks came in second again to Bill Belichick, who claimed the top spot after winning his fourth Super Bowl title with the Patriots. Among active coaches, Coughlin trails only Belichick in both regular-season and playoff victories.
"His past two years haven't been good, but he has the two Super Bowl rings and has a 12-7 playoff record and seven 10-win seasons," Prisco wrote about Coughlin. "He has five division titles, two with Jacksonville and three with the Giants. He faces a big challenge this season coming off a 6-10 record, his worst since 2004."
Here are the top 10 head coaches currently in the NFL, according to CBSSports.com:
- Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
- Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
- Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers
4. Tom Coughlin, New York Giants
- John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
- Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints
- Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals
- Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
- Chuck Pagano, Indianapolis Colts
TOP 25 COACHES: TOTAL CAREER VICTORIES
*Member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame
Photos of Tom Coughlin's career as head coach of the Giants