Here are five things you need to know about the Giants' new quaterback, Josh Freeman:
- Offseason workouts begin
Giants players returned Monday as Offseason Workouts began...
- Photos: Selfie Gallery
Meet the new Giants faces in our Selfie Photo Gallery
- Selected in the first round (17th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft by the Buccaneers, Freeman spent four full seasons in Tampa Bay before being released by the team in the middle of the 2013 season. He signed with the Minnesota Vikings last October, playing and starting in just one game -- against the Giants. His career numbers include 13,724 passing yards (57.6 completion percentage) with 80 touchdowns, 67 interceptions, and a passer rating of 77.8 in 60 starts.
- A three-time team captain (2010-2012) with Tampa Bay, Freeman has 10 career fourth-quarter/overtime comeback victories. In one of his best statistical years, he finished the 2010 season third in the NFC and eighth in the NFL in fourth- quarter passer rating (97.4), second in the NFC and tied for fifth in the NFL for fewest interceptions thrown (6), and sixth in the NFC in third-down passer rating (91.9).
- At the time, his performance in 2010 ranked him as only the second quarterback under the age of 23 in NFL history to throw six or fewer interceptions in a season with 200+ attempts (last Dan Marino, 1983) and the first quarterback under the age of 23 to lead his team to a 10-win season since Ben Roethlisberger in 2004.
View photos from the career of QB Josh Freeman
- In 2012, Freeman became the Buccaneers' all-time leader in touchdown passes (78, 2009-12) and set the record for most touchdown passes in a single season in team history (27). He threw for 4,065 yards during 2012, becoming the first Tampa Bay quarterback to record 4,000 yards in a single season.
- Freeman was the first-ever quarterback drafted in the first round out of Kansas State and just the fifth Wildcat overall to be selected in the first round. He started 32-of-35 games during collegiate career, setting school records in nearly all major quarterback categories, including passing yards (8,078), completions (680), attempts (1,151), and touchdowns (44).