Photos of players on the Giants official roster
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. –
The Giants today filled the opening on their roster when they signed cornerback Leon McFadden off the Arizona Cardinals' practice squad. The team had a spot available after waiving safety Cooper Taylor yesterday.
McFadden, 5-10 and 199 pounds, has played in 23 regular-season games with two starts for Cleveland and San Francisco. He has recorded 21 tackles (13 solo), one pass defensed and six special teams tackles.
McFadden entered the NFL as a third-round draft choice by the Browns in 2013 from San Diego State, the 68th overall selection. As a rookie, he played in all 16 games with two starts for the Browns, and had 16 tackles (10 solo), a pass defensed, four special teams tackles and a five-yard kickoff return.
McFadden was waived by Cleveland on Aug. 30, 2014, and awarded the following day to the Jets, who released him on Sept. 11. He was signed to the 49ers' practice squad on Sept. 16 and to the active roster on Nov. 1. McFadden played in seven games last season for San Francisco, and had five tackles (three solo), plus two special teams tackles. In four preseason games this year, he had six tackles and two passes defensed.
He was waived by the 49ers on Sept. 5 and signed to the Cardinals' practice squad on Sept. 8,
- The Giants also re-signed tight end Jerome Cunningham and offensive lineman Adam Gettis to the practice squad. Both players were released last week.
Tackle Xavier Proctor was released from the practice squad.
View photos of the Giants 2015 practice squad
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT LEON MCFADDEN
By Dan Salomone
- Originally a third-round pick (68th overall) by Cleveland in the 2013 NFL Draft, cornerback Leon McFadden comes to the New York Giants from the Arizona Cardinals' practice squad, where he was signed on Sept. 7 of this season. He previously played for the Browns (2013), Jets (2014), and 49ers (2014).
- The 5-foot-10, 199-pound cornerback has played in 26 games with two career starts, both coming as a rookie in Cleveland. He has recorded 25 tackles and two passes defensed.
- McFadden, a standout at San Diego State, played all 16 games in 2013 as a rookie with the Browns. He did not suit up in his stint with the Jets but played the final seven weeks of the 2014 season with the 49ers.
- He originally signed with the Aztecs as a wide receiver coming out of high school but converted to defensive back full-time during his 2009 fall camp. As a senior in 2012, McFadden notched 61 tackles, 12 passes defensed, and three interceptions while picking up first-team All-Mountain West honors for the third year in a row.
- A native of Bellflower, Calif., McFadden played at St. John Bosco High School, where he was selected to the Trinity League first-team defense while averaging 16.3 yards per catch on offense. His father, Leon Sr., played professional baseball with the Houston Astros organization.