EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Geoff Schwartz's season is officially finished, and the Giants today brought back a familiar face to replace him on the roster.
Schwartz, the guard who had started every game this season, was placed on injured reserve because of the fractured lower left leg he suffered Sunday in Washington. At the same time, the Giants welcomed back Adam Gettis, who was signed off the Oakland Raiders' practice squad. Gettis, 6-2 and 305 pounds, was with the Giants in training camp and did two stints on their practice squad earlier this season. His practice squad contract was terminated on Nov. 4, and he was signed to the Raiders practice squad on Nov. 17.
Gettis played 13 games for the Redskins in 2013. He was on the Giants' roster late in the 2014 season, but was inactive for the final two games.
Schwartz started each of the first 10 games at right guard. He switched to left guard for the Washington game because Justin Pugh was sidelined with a concussion. John Jerry started at right guard. After Schwartz was injured in the first quarter, Jerry moved to the left side and rookie Bobby Hart played right guard.
Pugh and center Weston Richburg (ankle) both missed the game in Washington. Coach Tom Coughlin said yesterday he doesn't know if either or both will be able to play Sunday, when the Giants host the Jets.
Schwartz was injured almost one year to the day after he broke his left ankle in a game at Jacksonville. He was placed on injured reserve a year ago tomorrow.
Photo timeline from the Giants Week 12 matchup vs. Washington
FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ADAM GETTIS
By Dan Salomone
- Originally a fifth-round selection (141st overall) by the Washington Redskins in the 2012 NFL Draft, guard Adam Gettis comes to the New York Giants from the Oakland Raiders' practice squad. Gettis previously had stints on the Giants' practice squad this season as well as time on the active roster at the end of 2014. The move comes after the Giants placed starter Geoff Schwartz on injured reserve after he fractured his lower leg in Week 12 against the Redskins.
- Gettis, 6-2, 305, has played in 13 career games -- all in 2013 with Washington -- with no starts.
- Gettis was first signed to the Giants' active roster in mid-December of last season after being acquired off the
Pittsburgh Steelers' practice squad. He was waived by the Giants during final roster reductions before the start of the 2015 season and was added to their practice squad. He was last waived by the Giants on Nov. 4.
- A native of Frankfort, Ill., Gettis played college football at Iowa, where he was second team all-Big Ten in 2011, his final season. Gettis started his college career at left guard but switched to the right guard for his final two seasons, starting 13 games there for the Hawkeyes in 2011.
- He prepped at Lincoln Way East High School, where he recorded 29 tackles and eight sacks in two years as a defensive lineman. He also played on the offensive line, amassing 149 pancake blocks, including a career-high 69 as a senior at both center and tackle.