Five things to know about new Giants wide receiver John Ross:
1. This will be John Ross' fifth season in the NFL after spending his first four years with the Cincinnati Bengals. The Bengals drafted him with the ninth overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. Ross went on to start 20 of 27 games in which he played.
2. For his career, Ross has caught 51 passes for 733 yards and 10 touchdowns. His best season came in 2018 when he played 13 games (10 starts) and finished with 21 receptions for 210 yards and seven touchdowns. The following season, he reeled in 28 passes for 506 yards and three touchdowns. Ross appeared in only three games (one start) in 2020 due to a foot injury, which landed him on injured reserve.
3. Ross wowed scouts at the 2017 NFL Combine, registering a 40-yard dash time of 4.22 seconds. That mark broke Chris Johnson's record time of 4.24 seconds set in 2008. Ross' time still stands as the fastest official 40-yard dash time at the Combine.
4. The speedy wide receiver spent four seasons at the University of Washington (with a redshirt year in 2015 due to a knee injury), but truly exploded onto the scene in his redshirt junior year. Playing in 14 games in 2016, Ross had 81 receptions for 1,150 yards and a whopping 17 touchdowns, adding 102 rushing yards and an additional score to his final stats. Ross also served as the Huskies' kick returner, taking 17 kickoffs for 411 yards (24.2 avg.) and a touchdown. His 17 receiving touchdowns ranked third in FBS.
Ross was considered one of college football's most explosive playmakers, and his accolades showed it. He earned First-Team All-Pac-12 honors in 2016, as well as being named the AP Pac-12 Player of the Year.
5. Ross grew up in Long Beach, California, and attended Jordan High School, where he played football and ran track. He was named the Moore League Offensive Player of the Year as a high school senior in 2012, and was Co-Player of the Year as a junior. Ross also played under Snoop Dogg, the famous rapper, in the Snoop Youth Football League and has maintained a relationship with the star over the years.
View photos of wide receiver John Ross, who recently signed with the team.