Giants-Buccaneers tale of the tape
The Giants are coming off their bye week and hoping to pick up their third win in four games. A victory won't come easy this week as Joe Judge's squad will be traveling to Tampa Bay to take on the reigning Super Bowl champions on Monday Night Football.
Big Blue has improved significantly on defense over their last three games. Going up against the Carolina Panthers, Kansas City Chiefs and Las Vegas Raiders, the defense surrendered an average of 13 points per game while forcing six total turnovers. The Giants are one of only two teams in the NFL that have registered a takeaway in every one of their games this season.
The Buccaneers are currently on a two-game losing streak after they lost to the Saints in Week 8 and Washington in Week 10, with their bye between the two losses. In last week's defeat to Washington, Tom Brady threw two interceptions while the offense was only able to gain 53 total yards on the ground in the 29-19 loss. Tampa Bay is 2-1 against the NFC East with wins over the Cowboys (Week 1) and Eagles (Week 6).
Here are some notes and stats from players on both teams ahead of tonight's matchup.
* QB Daniel Jones completed 15 of 20 atts. (season-high 75 pct.) & had TD vs. 0 INTs for 104.2 rating in Week 9. Is 1 of 6 NFC QBs with 7+ games (7) with 90+ rating in 2021. Has 95+ rating in 3 of his 4 road starts this season. Aims for his 4th in row overall with 95+ rating. Passed for 336 yards & 2 TDs vs. 0 INTs for 112.7 rating & had 2 rush TDs in last road meeting, his 1st-career start & win.
* QB Tom Brady has 1,277 pass yards (319.3 per game) & 18 TDs vs. 2 INTs for 120.6 rating in 4 home starts this season. Aims for his 4th in row at home with 100+ rating & 6th in row at home with 4+ TD passes. Needs 3 TD passes to tie HOFers Brett Favre & Peyton Manning for 2nd-most seasons with 30+ TD passes (9) in NFL history.
* RB Saquon Barkley has 65+ scrimmage yards in 2 of his past 3 on road. Has 1,952 scrimmage yards (102.7 per game) in 19 career road games. Has 189 scrimmage yards (94.5 per game) & 3 TDs (2 rush, 1 rec.) in 2 career games vs. TB. RB Devontae Booker had 122 scrimmage yards (career-high 99 rush, 23 rec.) in Week 9, his 5th-career game with 100+ scrimmage yards. Aims for his 3rd in row with 120+ scrimmage yards.
* RB Leonard Fournette had 92 scrimmage yards (47 rush, 45 rec.) & season-high 8 receptions last week. Aims for his 3rd in row at home with 90+ scrimmage yards & rush TD.
* TE Evan Engram had 15th-career TD catch in Week 9. Aims for his 3rd in row with TD catch. Has 6 catches for 113 yards & rec. TD in last road meeting. Aims for his 3rd in row at TB with 6+ receptions & 5th in row overall vs. TB with 60+ rec. yards. WR Kenny Golladay and WR Kadarius Toney were not listed on the injury report throughout the week leading up to Monday's game.
* WR Mike Evans had 40-yard rec. TD last week, his 70th- career rec. TD. Needs 128 rec. yards to become 6th WR with 9,000+ rec. yards & 70+ rec. TDs in 1st 8 seasons all-time. Has 32 receptions for 582 yards (116.4 per game) & 6 rec. TDs in 5 career games vs. NYG. Had 190 rec. yards & 3 rec. TDs in last home meeting. Aims for his 5th in row vs. NYG with rec. TD. WR Chris Godwin had 7 catches & 57 rec. yards last week. Has rec. TD in 3 of 4 home games this season. Aims for his 3rd in row on MNF with TD catch.
* S Xavier McKinney had 2 INTs, incl. 1st-career INT-TD, in Week 9 & is 1 of 2 (J.C. JACKSON) with 2 games with 2 INTs in 2021. DL Leonard Williams aims for his 3rd in row vs. TB with sack.
* LB Lavonte David had 14 tackles & FF last week. Is 1 of 4 (Chandler Jones, Robert Quinn & J.J. Watt) with 25+ FFs (25) since 2012. LB Devin White became 1st player since Patrick Willis (12/23/07) with 18+ tackles (career-high 18) & 2+ sacks (2) in single game. Aims for his 4th in row with 10+ tackles. LB Jason Pierre-Paul had 58.5 sacks, 90 TFL & 47 PD in 111 games with NYG (2010-17).
View photos from practice as the Giants prepare for their Monday night matchup against the Buccaneers.
Notebook: Latest on Logan Ryan; 3 more ruled out
Logan Ryan was placed today on the reserve/COVID-19 list and the Giants' final injury report of the week lists the safety and defensive captain as out for their game Monday night in Tampa Bay.
But coach Joe Judge is holding out hope that Ryan will be able to face the defending Super Bowl champions.
"I'd say when you're on that (COVID list), obviously you can't play," Judge said. "Is there a small chance that he could still test out and be available? There is. We're preparing for all the situations of him not being available, as well as if he turns around for the last minute and he is. We'll prepare for that, as well."
Would that include flying down to Tampa on game day if Ryan's status changes?
"It absolutely would," Judge said. "So, if he clears as late as Monday morning, we'll get him down there and have him ready to play."
Ryan has been participating in meetings virtually since testing positive on Thursday.
Because Ryan is vaccinated, he needs, as Judge said, "two consecutive negative tests, within a span of 24 (hours) apart" to be eligible to play. Should that not happen before Monday, Ryan must meet the same standard before he could play in the home game against the Philadelphia Eagles a week from tomorrow.
Ryan's absence would be substantial. He leads the team with 72 total tackles and 47 solo stops. He is the most experienced member of the secondary with 134 regular-season games played and 109 starts. Ryan is familiar with Tampa Bay quarterback Tom Brady as both a former teammate and an opponent. And he is a vocal defensive leader.
📸 Through the Years: History of Giants vs. Tom Brady
Check out the gallery below to view the history of the New York Giants facing legendary quarterback Tom Brady, a series that includes two meetings in the Super Bowl, ahead of Monday's Week 11 matchup.
Click through the history of the New York Giants facing legendary quarterback Tom Brady, a series that includes two meetings in the Super Bowl.