It was the first OTA after a long four day weekend for the players. OTA #4 is the first of the week with two more Wednesday and Thursday. Contact rules remain the same, which means it is prohibited.
• The players got thrown back into the deep end of the pool with a hot and steamy day at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center. With the player hitting the field before 10AM, it saved them from some of the worst if it but it was still very uncomfortable. I sweated a ton just watching in the sun. I can only imagine how hot it was moving around in their jerseys and helmets at high speeds. I didn't see anyone have to take a break with any cramps, which is a great credit to the training and medical staffs. Hydration is good!
• Landon Collins was out there in a red jersey indicating he should not be contacted by anyone. He is trying to make his way back from a second surgery on his forearm. The fact he was out there in team drills, even with the red jersey, in a limited fashion is a great sign he could be full-go when training camp arrives at the end of July.
• The offense worked a lot on what I consider a lot of traditional west coast tenants of the offense today. There was a lot of shorter stuff over the middle to tight ends and swing passes into the flat to the running backs. There were also some in routes and crosses from the receivers. A lot of passes featured quick drops and timing throws. I also saw a couple rub routes that were similar to what the Giants did last season.
• Webb did make a couple of nice throws on fades, connecting with Roger Lewis JR. on one near the right sideline. Webb also squeezed in a nice throw to Lewis on a slant in between a corner and a safety. Later in practice he put a fade on the fingertips of Amba Etta-Towa but the receiver couldn't come up with it.
• Evan Engram showed why he can be such a matchup problem when he spit out wide and found himself one on one with 272 pound linebacker Kareem Martin. The 240 pound Engram flew past him and caught a pinpoint pass in stride on a go route from Eli Manning.
• Today it was Marshall Koehn's turn to kick some field goals. He was five of seven with misses from 41 and 50 yards. Both misses appeared to go wide right.
• Defenders that stuck out to me: Kareem Martin, Olivier Vernon, Robert Thomas, Andrew Adams and Calvin Munson. Romeo Okwara, Kerry Wynn and Jordan Williams also flashed.
• The practice got loud towards the end of drills, with wide receivers and cornerbacks jawing with one another from the sideline.
Photos from the Giants fourth OTA practice!
• I love the way both Lou Anarumo and Deshea Townsend actively coach on the field. When a player makes a mistake they are not shy about letting them know right away.
• We continue to see different groups on the offensive line. We saw Brett Jones and Jon Halapio split first team reps at center, with Patrick Omameh playing both guards spots with either John Greco at right guard or Will Hernandez at left guard.
• Rhett Ellison had an active day in the pass game. Last year he played only 538 snaps. I would guess that number will be higher this year.
• Hunter Sharp had a nice practice as well, finding more time with Eli Manning and the first team offense as the third receiver.