With the fourth pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the New York Giants selected Georgia offensive tackle Andrew Thomas. Here is everything you need to know about the new member of Big Blue:
1. A three-year starter, Thomas burst onto the scene as a Freshman All-American at right tackle in 2017 before moving to the left side as a sophomore. He was a key player on Georgia teams that won 11 or more games three straight seasons, won three straight SEC Eastern Division titles, and played in three straight New Year's Six Bowl games (2018 Rose, 2019 Sugar, 2020 Sugar).He started all 41 games in which he played: 15 at right tackle as a true freshman, and 13 at left tackle in both 2018 and 2019. He missed just one game in three seasons
2. HONORS & AWARDS
- First-team All-American (2019)
- SEC's 2019 Jacobs Blocking Trophy (UGA's first recipient of the award in 21 years)
- First-team All-SEC by Coaches and Associated Press (2019)
- Semifinalist for the 2019 Outland Trophy
- One of four permanent team captains (2019)
- Co-winner of 2019 Vince Dooley Offensive MVP Award
- SI.com first-team All-American (2018)
- Second-team All-American by Associated Press & Walter Camp (2018)
- All-America Second Team
- First-team All-SEC by Coaches (2018)
- Freshman All-Americas by ESPN, USA Today and the Football Writers Association of America (2017)
View photos from the college career of Georgia OT Andrew Thomas.
3. NFL SCOUTING COMBINE MEASUREMENTS & RESULTS
- Height: 6'5"
- Weight: 315 lbs.
- Arms: 36 1/8"
- Hands: 10 1/4"
- 40-yard dash: 5.22 sec.
- Bench press: 21 reps.
- Vertical: 30 1/2"
- Broad jump: 109"
- 3-cone drill: 7.58 sec.
- 20-yard shuttle: 4.66 sec.
4. HIGH SCHOOL & PERSONAL
Pace Academy, coached by Chris Slade…Selected to represent the East in the 2017 U.S. Army All-America Bowl…PrepStar Magazine five-star prospect, #37 player nationally on the Top 150 Dream Team…ESPN.com four-star prospect, #40 player nationally, #7 OT nationally, #5 player in the state of Georgia...247Sports.com four-star prospect, #42 player nationally, #9 OT nationally, #4 player in the state of Georgia…Rivals.com four-star prospect, #88 player nationally, #10 OT nationally, #10 player in the state of Georgia…Scout four-star prospect, #55 player nationally, #9 OT nationally…2016 Atlanta Journal-Constitution Super 11 in Georgia and Class AAA All-State offense…Helped Pace Academy to a 14-2 record in 2015, winning the Class AAA State Championship...played both offensive tackle and defensive line, recording 59 tackles his senior season…Major: Business...Full name is Andrew Ken Thomas...Also played baseball and basketball and was a member of the school's concert band (plays the drums and piano)…Recipient of the Wayne McDuffie and Statesboro Bulldog Club scholarships.
5. NFL.COM SCOUTING REPORT
- Ability to play either tackle spot
- Plays with a fiercely competitive mentality
- Hurries to get to lateral landmarks in run game
- Powerful meat hooks for hands
- Quality gather and redirects for second-level adjustments
- Twitchy movements to mirror and engage
- Quick processor snapping twists off without leaving home base
- Maintains base width regardless of where pass rep takes him
- Effective catch technique on kick-out blocks and for pass punch
- Unique talent in re-setting feet mid-rep to improve leverage and positioning
- Corralls inside moves with strong, sticky right hook to capture foe's frame
- Above-average recovery talent to redirect with power
- NFL Comparison: Ja'Wuan James