With the 36th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the New York Giants selected Alabama safety Xavier McKinney. Here are five things to know about the newest member of Big Blue:
1. ALABAMA CAREER OVERVIEW
A first-team All-SEC selection, McKinney led Alabama's defense with 95 tackles in 2019, including 5.5 for loss (-40 yards) and three sacks (-21 yards). He led the SEC with four forced fumbles, tied for second-most in Alabama history. He added three interceptions to go with five pass breakups and five quarterback hurries as a junior. He returned one of his interceptions for an 81-yard touchdown.
He earned a starting role as a sophomore the year before and burst onto the scene with 73 tackles, six for loss, three sacks, two interceptions and 10 pass breakups in 15 starts. He was named the Defensive MVP of the Orange Bowl against Oklahoma to help send Alabama to the national title game. In all, he played in 41 career games with 28 starts, recording 176 tackles (13 TFL), six sacks, five forced fumbles, 20 pass breakups, and five interceptions.
2. HONORS & AWARDS
- Second-team All-American (2019)
- First-team All-SEC (2019)
- Semifinalist for the 2019 Thorpe Award, presented annually to the nation's top defensive back
- Orange Bowl Defensive MVP (2018)
- 2018 College Football Playoff National Champion
3. NFL SCOUTING COMBINE RESULTS & MEASUREMENTS
- Height: 6'0"
- Weight: 201 lbs.
- Arms: 30 7/8"
- Hands: 8 5/8"
- 40-yard dash: 4.63 sec.
- Bench press: 19 reps
- Vertical jump: 36"
- Broad jump: 122"
View photos of former Alabama S Xavier McKinney.
4. HIGH SCHOOL & PERSONAL
An elite defensive back prospect and one of the top players in Georgia ... a unanimous four-star prospect who was tabbed a top-10 safety nationally by all major recruiting outlets ... participated in the Under Armour All-America Game and Nike's 2016 "The Opening" ... ranked No. 40 in the Rivals100, the No. 3 safety and No. 5 player in the state of Georgia ... the No. 54 player overall, sixth-best safety prospect and No. 6 overall in the state by 247Sports ... the 247Composite ranked him No. 58 overall, the No. 6 safety nationally and No. 8 player in Georgia ... No. 87 in the ESPN300, No. 9 safety, No. 10 player in Georgia and No. 41 overall in the Southeast region according to ESPN ... member of the PrepStar Top 150 Dream Team as the No. 81 player overall ... No. 113 in the Scout300, the No. 11 safety nationally and No. 3 safety in Georgia ... named the 2016 Georgia Class 7A Defensive Player of the Year by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution ... recorded 82 tackles, seven interceptions, nine pass breakups, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries as a senior in 2016 ... finished his junior season with 111 tackles, including four for a loss and two sacks, 13 pass breakups and nine interceptions, two of which were returned for touchdowns ... coached by John Ford at Roswell High School ... chose Alabama over Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia and Ohio State.
5. NFL.COM SCOUTING REPORT
- Known for high football IQ and field toughness
- Versatility to match up with every personnel grouping
- Plus burst with impressive change of direction in space
- Smooth backpedal with agile feet and fluid hips to weave with quarterback
- Adequate ball-tracking and poise when the ball goes up
- Speed for foot race over the top in Cover 1
- Intent on deciphering the quarterback's eyes
- Anticipates and cuts under breaks looking for takeaways
- Recognizes route combinations and adjusts coverage accordingly
- Has instant burst to close and strikes with intent
- Uses length to clamp and roll as tackle finisher
- Takes smart angles into alley to clean up spillage
- Above-average blitz talent from mugged-up A-gap or off the slot
- NFL Comparison: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson