Pro Football Focus named six Giants to their Top 101 Players of 2016:
The defensive resurgence was the story of the year for the Giants in 2016, and the accolades keep coming in recognition of it.
Newcomers Janoris Jenkins, Damon Harrison and Olivier Vernon blended almost flawlessly with players like Landon Collins and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to create a unit that allowed a league-low 25 offensive touchdowns. As a result, Pro Football Focus recently named all five of them to the Top 101 Players of 2016. Wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. was the Giants' lone representative from the offense to bring the team total to six players.
Collins, who is coming off one of the best defensive campaigns in recent Giants history, led the group at No. 8 overall, one spot behind Ravens guard Marshal Yanda and one ahead of Eagles defensive end Brandon Graham. Not ranked on PFF's list as a rookie in 2015, Collins had a true breakout year in 2016, becoming the first player in NFL history to record at least 100 solo tackles, two sacks, five interceptions and 12 passes defensed in a season.
"Collins was everywhere for the Giants this year, impacting the run, covering receivers close to the line and even causing havoc as a pass-rusher on the blitz," Sam Monson wrote. "He had a very real Defensive Player of the Year case and won PFF's Breakout Player award."
The list of achievements continues to grow for the Alabama product, who turned 23 last month. Collins, whom general manager Jerry Reese traded up to draft with the first pick of the second round in 2015, was twice named NFC Defensive Player of the Week and was the conference's Defensive Player of the Month for November. That led to him picking up first-team All-Pro honors in addition to starting in the 2017 Pro Bowl in Orlando.
But he couldn't have done it without his teammates. So here's a look at where PFF ranked the other five Giants in the Top 101:
- CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (2015: unranked)
- CB Janoris Jenkins (unranked)
- DT Damon Harrison (77)
- WR Odell Beckham Jr. (37)
- DE Olivier Vernon (21)
Now let's go around the league and look at the Top 10:
- Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots (14)
- Aaron Donald, DI, Los Angeles Rams (1)
- Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers (unranked)
- Khalil Mack, EDGE, Oakland Raiders (6)
- Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta Falcons (unranked)
- Julio Jones, WR, Atlanta Falcons (9)
- Marshal Yanda, G, Baltimore Ravens (16)
- Landon Collins, S, New York Giants (unranked)
- Brandon Graham, EDGE, Philadelphia Eagles (unranked)
- Eric Weddle, S, Baltimore Ravens (unranked)