NFL.com picks top 10 Giants plays through season's midway point
The Giants are fresh off their bye week and ready to start the second half of the season on a high note.
Before the team gets back on the field for their Monday night showdown in Tampa Bay, let's take a look at some of the best moments from the first half of the season.
NFL.com chose the top 10 plays from the Giants' first nine games of the season, which can be found in the video below.
Here are the top 10 plays:
- QB Daniel Jones makes a jaw-dropping one-handed catch on a trick play from WR Dante Pettis
- RB Saquon Barkley punches it in from six yards out for the game-winning touchdown in overtime vs. Saints
- WR Kadarius Toney makes a dazzling 38-yard sideline catch from QB Daniel Jones vs. Cowboys
- RB Saquon Barkley and QB Daniel Jones connect on a 54-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter vs. Saints
- WR John Ross makes an impressive 50-yard catch falling down despite being interfered vs. Chiefs
- LB Quincy Roche sacks Raiders QB Derek Carr and forces a fumble, which was recovered by DL Leonard Williams to seal the victory over Las Vegas
- CB James Bradberry intercepts Washington QB Taylor Heinicke late in the fourth quarter to set up a field goal
- QB Daniel Jones throws a 51-yard pass to WR John Ross, who fumbles at the goal line and recovers in the end zone for a touchdown vs. Saints
- WR Kadarius Toney makes a 26-yard sideline catch from QB Mike Glennon vs. Cowboys
- DB Logan Ryan strips Broncos TE Albert Okwuegbunam inside the five-yard line and recovers the football
Players to Watch: Young Giants on the rise
The Giants entered the bye week on a high note, winning two of three games after a 1-5 start. They spent the downtime self-scouting and putting together a plan for the home stretch of the season, which begins on Monday Night Football in Tampa Bay against the defending Super Bowl champion Buccaneers.
Here are five players who could play a major role coming out of the break:
S Xavier McKinney
The Giants are one of just two teams in the NFL with a takeaway in every game this season and have 14 total, tied for the fifth-most in the league. McKinney has four of them, including two against the Raiders to earn him NFC Defensive Player of the Week honors. The 2020 second-round draft choice has five interceptions in his first 15 career games, the first Giants defender to accomplish that since cornerback Will Allen in 2001-02. McKinney is heating up just as the defense is as a whole. The Giants have won two of their last three games and gave up an average of 13 points in that stretch.
"I'm not here to talk about ceiling. I mean, it's through the roof," fellow safety and defensive co-captain Logan Ryan said. "He's a really good player. He's a smart player. He works hard. He's productive because he's good at finding the ball in the air. The good thing about Xavier is he had a ton of success in college obviously, and he came from a program that is used to that. He's able to come to work each and every day and he doesn't seem like he's acting any differently with the success. He seems like it's what he expects of himself and what we expect of him. With Jabrill [Peppers] going down, [there are] more opportunities for me and Zay, and I think it was our best game as a tandem last game of doing our job for the most part and at the end of the game making the plays necessary for our team to win the game. We put a lot on our shoulders back there as signal-callers, as leaders. I'm in year nine, he's in year two – basically, it's game 12 of his career [as a starter] and he's playing well beyond his years, and that's what we expect him to do."
View photos of safety Xavier McKinney in action.
📸 Photos: Best of Giants' 2021 season (so far)
From Daniel Jones' one-handed catch on a trick play to Xavier McKinney's pick-six to the OT thriller in New Orleans, re-live the best moments from the first half of the season in this must-see photo gallery below.
From Daniel Jones' one-handed catch on a trick play to Xavier McKinney's pick-six to the OT thriller in New Orleans, re-live the best moments from the first half of the season in this must-see photo gallery.