The Giants practiced in pads for the second straight day on Wednesday. It was a shorter practice that didn't contain as much physicality as Tuesday's session. The evening practice featured temperatures in the low 70s.
* The offense wasn't quite as efficient as they were on Tuesday but there were still a couple of strong plays. Darius Slayton ran away and caught a bullet from Daniel Jones over the middle on a play-action pass. Slayton also got himself open a deep throw later in practice during a team session but the pass wasn't on target. He has had a strong camp and has been winning on a variety of different routes.
* Evan Engram caught a pass from Daniel Jones down the seam in between the cornerbacks and safeties during team drills. He caught another pass from Jones on a play-action pass later in the same period.
* Gary Brightwell is getting his hands on the football more and more. He exploded through the line for what would have been a long run during the team portion of practice.
* Joe Judge likes to take advantage of his team wearing full pads by putting them through blocking and tackling drills. After blocking-focused drills on Wednesday, he ran the team through two different tackling drills. One featured close-quarters wrapping up of a ball carrier near the goal line, though players were not being brought to the ground.
* Later on, the team practiced tackling in space, where a defender is lined up against an offensive player with the ball and has to use proper technique to simulate a tackle as the offensive player tries to get by them. The focus here seemed to be defensive players taking the correct angle to the ball.
* There was also another session of offensive and defensive line 1-on-1s. Edge rusher Trent Harris displayed a nasty spin move rushing off of right end on one of his reps.
* Levine Toilolo was taken off the practice field and the Giants announced he suffered a torn Achilles tendon. It will open the door for young tight ends like Cole Hikutini and Nakia Griffin-Stewart to get even more snaps with Kyle Rudolph still on the PUP list. Rysen John remains on the reserve/COVID list.
* Giants legend Phil Simms and his son and former NFL quarterback Chris Simms attended practice. Phil Simms addressed the team huddle after practice and talked to a raptured audience for several minutes that ended in an ovation. Chris Simms knows Joe Judge from his time working in New England and has a long-standing relationship with Jason Garrett. Chris Simms spent time with both Daniel Jones and Garrett after practice. The two Simms also had a long talk with Judge after practice dispersed.
* Practice on Thursday is expected to be more of a walk-through after two straight days of padded work.