1. The 1-on-1 drills began. After three practices in shells to start training camp, the shoulder pads went on Friday, and they were popping from the first whistle. The Giants began Friday's practice, the fourth of camp, with 1-on-1 drills for the first time. Offensive tackles went against defensive ends, guards against defensive tackles, tight ends against safeties, wide receivers against cornerbacks, and so on. Some of the matchups in the passing game included: Prince Amukamara on Rueben Randle, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie on Victor Cruz, Antrel Rolle on Larry Donnell, and Walter Thurmond on Mario Manningham.
2. The secondary wouldn't give an inch.As mentioned above, the Giants had a spirited practice with some live hitting. None were livelier than the members of the secondary. They were physical from 1-on-1s all the way through 11-on-11, pressuring receivers from the line of scrimmage and stripping the ball away from running backs.
3. Beason hung with coach Merritt.Injured middle linebacker Jon Beason, who reiterated today that he expects to be back for the season opener, hasn't been far from the action throughout his rehabilitation from a foot injury. In addition to being in team and position meetings, Beason today posted up next to safeties coach David Merritt in his usual spot in centerfield behind the defense.
4. The defense controlled practice. The offense made its share of plays in the final practice of the week before Saturday's players' day off, but the defense owned the day. "Not as many runs this afternoon, unfortunately," Coughlin said after practice. "The defense kind of controlled that." The players return to the field on Sunday in full pads.
5. Kennard made a must-see hit.The hitting drills began with special teams, which resulted in some defender-on-defender, rookie-on-rookie collisions like the one linebacker Devon Kennard put on cornerback Bennett Jackson. All that time hitting the sled growing up is paying off for Kennard. Making it even better was Kennard made the play right in front of head coach Tom Coughlin.
Photos from Friday's #GiantsCamp