A day before what will likely be a long and physical scrimmage on Friday night, the Giants were in shells for a shorter practice on Thursday.
* Joe Judge used the practice to continue to rotate his offensive tackles and get them training on both ends of the line of scrimmage. It will have them prepared for the season if players have to be moved to either side of the line.
* Sterling Shepard continues to be the toughest cover in practice of all Giants receivers. During 7-on-7 drills, he caught a deep pass after running past the defensive back. He also caught a touchdown during team red zone drills, and forced a penalty on the defensive back covering him on another pass.
* Shepard's biggest play came during team drills. After running by the cornerback, who wound up on the ground, Shepard caught a deep pass from Daniel Jones. After the play, Shepard tossed the ball in the air while loudly celebrating. Judge made him retrieve the ball and then spoke with Shepard after the play. Judge later told reporters he explained to Shepard that the receiver's actions in a game would result in a 15-yard penalty that hurts the team. When Shepard spoke to reporters, he agreed that he has to be careful doing things after the play that could incur a flag and that he's glad to have a coach is staying on top of him in that regard.
* Evan Engram caught a couple of big passes throughout the day. His first came during team drills on a pass that split the safeties. In a game, Engram probably would have taken a big hit after securing the catch. During red zone drills, Engram caught a touchdown pass from Daniel Jones behind a defender.
* Javon Leake scored a touchdown, catching a short pass and outrunning the defense to the pylon for a touchdown.
* Practice ended with a pair of 2-minute drill scenarios, with Daniel Jones leading the offense on both opportunities. The defense stopped the offense on both drives. On the first drive, the offense started inside their own 20-yard line, and had 1:20 to attempt a field goal. The offense ran out of time near midfield.
* The second drive began with 2:02 remaining and the offense inside their own 20, needing a touchdown. The offense moved the ball across midfield, but an offensive penalty pushed them back into a 1st-and-20. After a short completion to Kaden Smith on first down, the defense forced three straight incompletions and a turnover on downs.
* Graham Gano closed practice making all six of his field goals. He has been very sharp with his accuracy during training camp.
The Giants were back to work at Training Camp on Thursday, before an intrasquad scrimmage on Friday.