The Giants had their first OTA (organized team activity) at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center on Monday. The weather was perfect with sunny skies and temperatures in the 70s.
It's important to note some crucial rules for OTAs. Players are not in pads, and no contact is allowed. Here's what happened during today's workout:
* A number of different players caught punts early in practice: Adoree' Jackson, Darnay Holmes, Jamison Crowder, Jalin Hyatt, Darius Slayton, and Jaydon Mickens.
* Wide receiver Collin Johnson was on the field after he tore his Achilles tendon towards the end of training camp last season. He caught a touchdown during red zone 7-on-7 drills.
* The only competitive offense-defense drills on Day 1 were 7-on-7 drills in the red zone. They always start with red zone drills, since players do not open up to full sprints for long periods of time, which can help prevent injury at the start of on-field competitive football activities.
View photos of the first organized team practice activity (OTA) at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center.
* Tight end Darren Waller was busy today. He was a frequent target in the red zone, and came down with two touchdown passes on balls over the shoulder towards the sideline. He might have had a third on a catch in front of the defender, but it was unclear whether the ball was outside the goal line.
* The other tight ends were targeted often in the end zone, too. Daniel Bellinger has a pair of touchdown catches, and converted tight end Dre Miller also had a touchdown catch.
* Rookie Gervarrius Owens deflected a pass in the end zone that popped up in the air and landed in the hands of edge defender Tomon Fox for the lone takeaway of the day.
* Nick McCloud had a pair of pass deflections to prevent touchdown passes tight ends, with one coming against Darren Waller near the sideline.
* Deonte Banks had a pass break-up anticipating the ball.
* All three quarterbacks showed off their legs a couple of plays, by moving in the pocket to find receivers for touchdown. Darius Slayton, Jalin Hyatt (on a nice hands catch on pass slightly behind him) and David Sills all had touchdowns.
Legacy Game Tickets
Limited tickets available for Giants vs. Commanders on Oct. 22 and Giants vs. Packers on Dec. 11