Giants training camp has officially begun with the first practice of the year taking place outside the Quest Diagnostics Training Center on Tuesday morning.
Joe Judge spoke to the media before practice and discussed the ramp-up period the team will go through during the first week of training camp.
"It'll be helmets and shorts for the next couple of days," Judge said. "We'll go into shells Friday and Saturday, shells the following Monday and then we'll be in pads. We'll be in pads as much as we can be, even when it's not a live contact day. Just get used to wearing the equipment, moving around, getting our players used to being out there."
With players only wearing helmets and shorts, practice resembled what the team was doing in the Spring, except there were more competitive periods and the players were moving full speed.
View photos from the first practice of Giants training camp at Quest Diagnostics Training Center.
Here's what could be seen:
* The team did a lot of red zone work today, first practicing against air before putting in some competitive sessions between the Giants wide receivers and secondary. Without pads, there is not much to report in terms of the run game and matchups between the offensive and defensive lines.
* The defense made a number of plays on the ball heading into the end zone. Darius Slayton and Adoree' Jackson had a number of plays where they were lined up against each other with Slayton as Daniel Jones' target. Slayton caught one touchdown, and Jackson made a nice play on a pass intended for Slayton, knocking it away.
* Fullback Cullen Gillaspia made a slick diving catch near the sideline, but it was difficult to tell whether or not he was out of bounds.
* James Bradberry and Kenny Golladay were matched up often during the session, but Golladay was also moved around the formation. It will be a fun matchup to watch, especially once the cornerbacks and receivers are allowed to be physical with one another.
* Logan Ryan had blanket coverage on a route along the back-line of the end zone. Sterling Shepard caught a touchdown pass on a slant later in practice. Mike Glennon hit CJ Board for a touchdown in a later practice period.
* Julian Love was active in red zone drills, knocking down a couple of passes. Linebacker Cale Garrett also knocked away a pass over the middle at the end of practice. The biggest defensive play of practice came from Montre Hartage, intercepting a pass over the middle.