After a day-off on Saturday, the Giants were back on the field Sunday with their final Phase 3 practice. The team was in shells and helmets, with the offense competing against the defense.
* Unless there is lightning, Joe Judge is going to keep his players outside (even if it rains). There was a steady rain throughout practice today, which made it hard for some of the receivers to hold onto passes, but it can help his players get ready for inclement conditions in November and December.
* Judge has stressed competition in camp and - in this session - he mixed and matched players throughout practice. He continued to use multiple fields to have different groups compete against each other simultaneously and, depending on the period, different players were on different fields. It will give everyone on the team a chance to practice with different groups of players.
* The quarterbacks have run a particular drill where they drop back to throw, and as they begin their throwing motion, members of the staff poke their torso with pads. It should help with ball security and pocket presence.
* Andrew Thomas was back on the field after missing Friday's work due to personal reasons.
* The Giants are putting their players in 1-on-1 situations to work on tackling. With pads not yet being worn, one player is given the ball in the open field and has to get past another in a "two-hand touch" type of scenario. Corey Coleman made a particularly nifty move with the ball in his hands to get past a defender. Some defensive players were also given a chance with the ball, and Darnay Holmes made his challenger miss badly with one of his jukes.
* In 7-on-7 near the end zone early in practice, Holmes dropped into an inside zone and deflected a pass intended for Golden Tate. He has been active in practice this summer and looks quick.
* Binjimen Victor had a nice practice catching a couple of touchdown passes. The first came on a fade, where he got both feet inside the sideline. On the second, he went up and over Carey Ballentine on a jump ball in the corner of the end zone.
* Golden Tate scored a touchdown of his own during team read zone drills. In an earlier period of practice, James Bradberry knocked away a pass intended for Sterling Shepard. Corey Coleman, Sterling Shepard and Evan Engram also caught touchdowns during 7-on-7s.
* Josiah Tauaefa made the defensive play of practice, reaching out and grabbing an interception with one hand during 7-on-7s (In a game, it could have been returned for a touchdown.). Sean Chandler also grabbed an interception during on 7-on-7s, taking advantage of a receiver bobbling a pass and knocking the ball in the air.
After a players day off on Saturday, the Giants were back on the practice field Sunday at Training Camp