The Giants were in pads for Tuesday's practice. The weather was near perfect with sunny skies and temperatures barely touching 80 degrees with low humidity. A large portion of practice was carded as the team begins to prepare for their third and final preseason game of the year against the Jets on Saturday at Metlife Stadium.
* The first competitive part of practice featured 1-on-1 between the pass catchers and back seven defenders, and between the offensive and defensive lines. Darren Waller made a juggling acrobat catch with tight coverage, knocking the ball around a bit before coming down with the catch. Darius Slayton got behind the defense and scored a touchdown on a deep ball from Daniel Jones. Tre Hawkins played tight coverage to prevent a catch and Zyon Gilbert had a pass break-up.
* Defensive line/offensive line 1-on-1's turned into 2-on-2's and 3-on-3's as both sides of the ball worked on pass rush games. The Dallas Cowboys ran more twists and stunts than any other team in the NFL last year so it makes sense to have the offensive line ready for those types of movements from opposing defensive fronts.
* After the 2-on-2 reps, the two groups took a series of 3-on-3 reps with the three inside offensive linemen trying to work together to block three pass rushers. After the defense won the first couple of reps, the offense stymied the rush on the final rep of the period.
* The first team period focused on the run game and play-action. On the first run, Dexter Lawrence and linebacker Bobby Okereke combined to stop Saquon Barkley near the line of scrimmage. They also ran a a play with Daniel Jones sprinting up the middle for a big gain. On the last play between the offensive and defensive starters, Jones hit Isaiah Hodgins on a well-timed toss down the sideline after a play-action fake.
* The second and third teams worked mostly with cards, though Tyrod Taylor hit Jalin Hyatt with deep pass down the sideline over the head of the cornerback.
* In the next period, Jones hit Waller for a couple of completions. The first was heading toward the sideline, but the second would have went for a big gain on a deep route. Tre Hawkins also broke up a pass intended for Jamison Crowder. Adoree' Jackson and Xavier McKinney also played tight coverage on Darius Slayton on a deep route, forcing Jones to eat the ball and run for a first down.
* The first team got a couple more chances to move the ball against the defense. Adoree' Jackson broke up a pass heading toward the sideline. Dexter Lawrence got into the backfield for what would have been a tackle for loss. Bobby Okereke read a screen that would have been caught for a loss. Jones also had a play blown dead after the defensive front had him surrounded and was closing in for a potential sack. Jones completed short passes to Darren Waller and another to Crowder. Collin Johnson and Parris Campbell caught passes to get the ball into the red zone before Jones ran for what could have been a touchdown. On the following play, to leave no doubt, Jones hit Darius Slayton on quick pass for a score.
Catch up on all the action from Tuesday's training camp practice at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center.