The Giants were back on the practice field today for the first of three consecutive days of practice leading up to the final preseason game against the Jets on Saturday night at MetLife Stadium. It was a hot day of camp at the Quest Diagnostic Training Center with few clouds, some humidity and temperatures reaching into the high 80s. The players were in shells and shorts.
Here's what happened:
* Practice started with 7-on-7 red zone drills. Saquon Barkley won against a linebacker, breaking inside before getting his with a quick pass from Daniel Jones for what would have been a touchdown. The offense scored again a few plays later when Tommy DeVito found Jaydon Mickens along the back of the end zone for a touchdown.
* Once red zone team drills began, the defense began to dominate. Tre Hawkins intercepted a pass when he stepped in front of Isaiah Hodgins on a pass thrown across the body of a rolling-out quarterback. Hawkins knocked down a pass later in practice, with the ball hitting off his shoulder pad as he got his turned his head. Sterling Shepard managed a touchdown during that period, catching a pass over his shoulder and out of the reach of the defender.
* Kayvon Thibodeaux started the next full-field team 11-on-11 period with a pressure on Daniel Jones, pressing the outside with his speed, followed a potential tackle for loss on an end around. The defensive front pressured the pocket throughout the period, but Daniel Jones still managed to throw a touchdown pass over the middle to Parris Campbell after stepping up.
* Later that period, Azeez Ojulari sniffed out a screen, making what would have been a tackle for loss. On the very next play, Leonard Williams forced Jones to roll to his right. He hit Darren Waller for a catch, but there's a good chance Jones would have been sacked on the play if it was a game situation. Williams continued to dominate throughout the last period, getting into the backfield constantly and making plays in the run game. Dexter Lawrence added a run stop at the line of scrimmage.
* Tomon Fox pressured the quarterback, though Taylor got off a deep throw to Collin Johnson, who just returned from his knee injury and drew a defensive pass interference penalty on the play. Oshane Ximines pressured DeVito two plays later, forcing him to scramble. Devito answered a few plays later with a perfect over-the-outside-shoulder toss to David Sills down the sideline.
* In the final team period, the secondary played tight coverage, prompting Jones to hold the ball, which gave Williams, Thibodeaux, Jihad Ward and others time to get home. Xavier McKinney also managed an interception in the period but it took place on a free play when the quarterback fired a deep rainbow on what would have been an offsides call.
Catch up on all the action from Monday's training camp practice at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center.