The Giants were back on the practice field on Thursday at 10 a.m. with temperatures touching 90 degrees. The team was once again in helmets and shorts.
* During the individual portion, the quarterbacks were practicing getting to their hot routes, either throwing the ball to a target on a net, or dumping it off to a coach if the blitz was coming. The offensive line was working on combo blocks leading to second-level blocks on linebackers. The quarterbacks also worked on their RPO ball-handling with the running backs. The linebackers were working on their tackling.
* The Giants worked in skill position 1-on-1 red zone drills for the first time this summer. Collin Johnson scored caught two touchdowns from Daniel Jones, using his size to come down with the ball over the cornerback toward the back of the endzone. Johnson also made some catches later in practice. Jones also hit Parris Campbell for a score, and completed passes to Isaiah Hodgins, Cole Beasley, and Darren Waller. Kalil Pimpleton caught a pair of touchdown passes from Tyrod Taylor.
* The 1-on-1's also featured some strong defensive plays. Tre Hawkins ran the route and came down with the interception toward the back of the end zone.
* The field expanded a bit for the Giants as they began team drills with 7-on-7 work from the 30-yard line, after spending the majority of the first practice of camp in the tight red zone. The first play was a deep shot with good coverage from Deonte Banks. It set the stage for a practice with some more passes downfield, one of which went into the hands of Xavier McKinney.
* During the first team portion, Daniel Jones got the ball to Waller with some quick passes for the second consecutive day. Waller's size is difficult for defensive backs to handle when he can box out the defender with his 6'6 frame. They also ran some designed quarterback runs for the second straight day. There is no tackling when pads are not worn at practice. Adoree' Jackson made a great diving deflection during the team portion.
* Lawrence Cager made one of the batter catches of practice when he came across the field for a jumping catch before going to the ground on a pass from Taylor. He also caught a pass on a crossing route from Jones earlier in the 7-on-7 period.
* The pass rush came on during team portions of practice, including pressure from OShane Ximines, Jordon Riley, and Kobe Smith. Deonte Banks got his hands on the football late in practice, knocking away a pass for Isaiah Hodgins. Zyon Gilbert also knocked away a pass during the team portion of practice, while Amani Oruwariye jumped a pass for an interception.
* Johnson made what was probably the catch of the day during the final 11-on-11 period. He leapt for a pass from Taylor and brought it down with two hands, maintaining control when hitting the ground.