The Giants and Jets engaged in an intense but civil joint practice at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center on Thursday afternoon. It was a bright, sunny, and hot day with temperatures feeling every bit of the 90 degrees that was in the forecast.
* In joint practices, different units from each team are competing against one another at the same time on different practice fields. Given the strength of the Jets' defensive front, more of this focus was on the 1-on-1's between the Jets' pass rushers and the Giants' offensive line. Andrew Thomas had the first rep of the session against veteran pass rusher Carl Lawson, who tried to win on a speed rush around the edge. He got to the outside, but Thomas moved his feet and pushed him around and past the quarterback. After holding up on a bull rush against John Franklin-Myers on his first rep, Evan Neal got to match up against fellow rookie Jermaine Johnson on his second and final opportunity. Johnson pushed Neal back on a bull rush, but Neal eventually anchored and stayed on his feet. Interior pass rushers Quinnen Williams and Sheldon Rankins did not participate. Azeez Ojulari won a rep around the edge of the left tackle.
* While the big men were going at it in the trenches, the skill positions worked 7-on-7s on the other end of the field. Kadarius Toney was back doing competitive drills after only working in individuals yesterday. He caught a couple of passes, including a crossing pattern against first-round rookie Sauce Gardner. David Sills also caught a crosser versus Gardner. Kenny Golladay had a leaping contested catch against Jets cornerback DR Reed. Alex Bachman caught a beautiful pass from Tyrod Taylor that floated over his shoulder for a long catch and Jaylon Moore had a leaping reception on the sideline.
View photos from the joint practice between the Giants and Jets at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center.
* During team drills, the Giants focused a lot on running the ball and operating a very efficient short passing game. Daniel Jones connected with David Sills four different times (including one sliding catch) during the Giants' first team session. Darius Slayton added a tough one-handed catch on the sideline after drawing a defensive pass interference penalty. Tight end Tanner Hudson, only signed yesterday, was left alone on a deep pass down the right seam that would have went for a long score.
* The Giants' defense held up well through the team portions of practice. Azeez Ojulari had a tackle for loss on a run and a sack before leaving the field at the end of practice after pulling up during sprints. Carter Coughlin added a sack of his own on a blitz from the second level of the defense. Trenton Thompson had a red zone sack on a blitz.
* In red zone team drills, Daniel Jones scrambled up the middle for a touchdown and Tyrod Taylor hit Alex Bachman for a score, taking the ball into the end zone untouched after catching the pass a few yards short of the goal line.
* The Giants' defense forced two interceptions. In a red zone drill, Xavier MckInney grabbed an interception that deflected off the hands of a Jet and it would have been a Pick-6. Newcomer Olaijah Griffin showed good anticipation on his interception in the middle of the field, before zig-zagging back and forth for a long return.
* The Giants will have a lighter Friday practice to prepare for the game against the Jets on Sunday at 1 p.m.