The Giants were back on the field for their ninth practice Sunday following a day off after Friday night's Blue-White scrimmage on Metlife Stadium. It was a physical, run-heavy session with a focus on the red zone, with the majority coming in goal-to-go situations.
* After positional drills, practice started with 9-on-7 drills. The first-team offensive line and Saquon Barkley came out firing on all cylinders. Barkley cut over left guard for a big gain on the first play of the session. On the next play, Barkley went off-tackle for a big gain after narrowly avoiding Leonard Williams in the backfield. Two plays later, Matt Breida cut back to the left - a block from tight end Chris Myarick on Kayvon Thibodeaux (moving him down the line), helped create space.
* Rookie safety Yusuf Corker and rookie linebacker Micah McFadden each had a pair of tackles for a loss on run plays during practice. Cam Brown had a stop at the line of scrimmage during 9-on-7's. Jashaun Corbin had a nice run, which was sprung behind a good block by rookie tight end Austin Allen.
* While 9-on-7 drills were going on, wide receivers and cornerbacks were running 2-on-2 half-field drills in the red zone on the opposite field. These drills are done so cornerbacks can practice navigating rub routes from the receivers lined up on the same side of the field. Davis Webb was the quarterback a good portion of these reps and threw a touchdown pass to Austin Proehl in the back-corner of the end zone. He also connected for scores with Richie James, Wan'Dale Robinson, Kadarius Toney and Alex Bachman.
* Daniel Jones came over to the field after playing quarterback during the 9-on-7 drills and threw a touchdown to Richie James from the 12. From the 4, he connected with CJ Board and Alex Bachman for scores.
View the top photos from Sunday's training camp practice at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center.
* The Giants ran almost exclusively run plays during their goal-to-go work during the team portion of practice. The offense had some moments during the team portion of practice, but the defense was very stout up front. During the first team portion Jones connected with Wan'Dale Robinson short of the end zone on a play-action pass, but Tae Crowder met the running back in the backfield for a loss on the following play. On the next two plays, the offense scored touchdowns on runs by Jones and Barkley. McKinney stopped a run right before the goal line on the next play. There was not full tackling to the ground, but the play was physical.
* After six plays from the first team offense, head coach Brian Daboll made the first-team offenses and defenses sprint down to the opposite end of the field and run two plays from the opposite goal line. With a game on Thursday night, it is part of the effort to make sure the team is in the proper cardiovascular condition. He did the same with the second and third teams.
* The second unit managed to score a touchdown during their goal-to-go work, with Gary Brigthtwell running it in for a touchdown. Defensive lineman Jalyn Holmes and cornerback Darren Evans combined for one tackle for loss on a play, while Evans and safety Trenton Thompson combined on the other. It looked like Taylor connected with Keelan Doss on a sliding touchdown in the back of the end zone but his knee landed out of bounds and it was incomplete. Rookie cornerback Zyon Gilbert was in tight coverage.
* Running back Antonio Williams ran it in for a score with the third team. Austin Calitro and Quincy Roche combined for a tackle for loss. On the final play for the third unit, Nate Meadors anticipated a pass and stepped in front for an interception and a big return the other way.
* The first team took the field again and Dexter Lawrence and Leonard Williams immediately asserted themselves stopping three straight running plays. Barkley got in the end zone with a run to the right after Evan Neal and Chris Myarick forced a lineman to the ground. Matt Breida had two good runs to start work with the second team. Yusuf Corker had a tackle for loss. Tyrod Taylor scored a touchdown on a quarterback keeper and beat the defense to the pylon for the score on the next play. Darrian Beavers had a tackle for loss on the following play.
* In the final team portion of practice, Saquon Barkley got around the left edge with his speed for a rushing touchdown. Three plays later, veteran Justin Ellis had a jarring thud and a tackle for loss. On the following play, Julian Love reached in front of a receiver to knock away a pass after Dexter Lawrence and Jihad Ward were in the backfield for potential sacks. Taylor also threw a touchdown pass to Jordan Akins.
* The Giants have two more padded practices before their first preseason game on Thursday night.