The Giants had their first training camp practice in pads today. It was cool and damp outside with temperatures in the mid-70s and a mist engulfing the field for the first 20 minutes of practice. The players remained outside and were able to play physical football for the first time since last season ended.
* The first day of pads also meant the first day of 1-on-1s for offensive and defensive linemen. It wasn't a pure pass-set drill because there were some play-action simulation blocks being mixed in. Andrew Thomas looked like the best offensive lineman on the field.
* Leonard Williams looked like the best defensive linemen on the field, winning both of his reps convincingly but in different ways. On his first rep he got by the offensive lineman with a push-pull move and then then his second move was an explosive move getting upfield past the guard.
* Dexter Lawrence might have had the best individual rep in the session, going full bull-rush and carrying the center all the way into the backfield on the way to the quarterback.
* Quincy Roche flashed some speed and bend around the edge to get to the quarterback. Rookie Josh Ezeudu had a good rep, holding his ground and moving his feet well.
The Giants put on the pads for the first time this season as training camp ramps up.
* During offensive line/defensive line 1-on-1s, the wide receivers and defensive backs had their own. Wan'Dale Robinson and Richie James both created separation and caught deep passes over the top. Kenny Golladay had a contested catch on the sideline.
* The team portions of practice focused mostly on the run game. There were wins by the defensive front with tackles at the line of scrimmage or in the backfield, but the offense also sprung some runs downfield with all three groups.
* Carter Coughlin and Darrian Beavers jumped out with some stops in and around the line of scrimmage. Coughlin had the loudest hit of practice with a solo "thud" on a running back in the middle of the line.
* After a sack pushed the offensive line back outside the 5-yard line, Saquon Barkley took a toss behind Evan Neal and center Shane Lemiuex, for a positive play. Lemieux took more snaps at center with Jon Feliciano missing more time with heat issues. Rookie Josh Ezeudu got some snaps at left guard.
* Gary Brightwell had a nice cut-back against the flow of the play, finding a lot of room outside..
* The secondary played tight coverage most of the day with pass break-ups from Adoree' Jackson, Julian Love, Andrew Adams and Aaron Robinson. CJ Board had one of the best catches during team drills, on a perfectly placed ball over the middle on a crossing pattern from Tyrod Taylor. Board outstretched both his arms and came up with the clean catch in traffic.
Giants Fan Fest returns to Metlife Stadium
Free and open to the public, the Giants Fan Fest will feature a Blue & White intrasquad scrimmage, autographs by Giants Legends, and a fireworks show.