Originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the Giants on May 6, 2016.
- Originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the Giants on May 6, 2016.
- Okwara had played in 22 regular-season games with 4 starts and he started the only postseason game in which he played…Career totals include 14 tackles (4 solo), including 1.0 sack in the regular season, and 1 tackle - a sack – in the playoffs.
- In 2017, Okwara played in 6 games…Sprained his knee in practice on Oct. 12, and was inactive at Denver (10/15)…Placed on injured reserve on Oct. 18 and activated on Dec. 19…Inactive at Arizona (12/24)…Returned to action in the season finale vs. Washington (12/31)…Season totals included 3 tackles (1 solo).
- As a rookie in 2016, Okwara played in all 16 regular-season games with starts in each of the final 4 contests, and he started the NFC Wild Card Game…Finished the regular season with 21 tackles (9 solo), including 1.0 sack, and 4 special teams tackles (3 solo).
- After playing as a reserve and on special teams in the first 12 games, Okwara made his first start vs Dallas (12/11), the week after Jason Pierre-Paul was hurt in Pittsburgh…Okwara was the first rookie free agent defensive lineman to start a game for the Giants since Damane Duckett on Jan. 2, 2005 – also at home vs. Dallas…He was the third undrafted rookie to start a game for the Giants in 2016, joining safety Andrew Adams and wide receiver Roger Lewis, Jr. That was the highest number of rookie free agents to start for the Giants in a non-strike season since 1980, when they had 7 such starters…When Okwara and Adams started together vs. the Cowboys, it was the first time the Giants started 2 rookie free agents on defense since 2005, when linebacker Chase Blackburn (2 games) and safety James Butler (1) each started.
- Against Dallas, Okwara had a team and season-high 8 tackles (3 solo), deflected a pass, and registered his first career sack when he tackled Dak Prescott for a 5-yard loss in the 2nd quarter…He was the first Giants player to record a sack in his initial career start since Pierre-Paul and Dave Tollefson both did it on Sept. 11, 2011 at Washington…Okwara was the first Giants rookie free agent to register a sack since Kerry Wynn at St. Louis on Dec. 21, 2014.
- Okwara had 2 tackles (1 solo) vs. Detroit (12/18) and 3 tackles (2 solo) at Philadelphia (12/22)…Recorded his first career postseason sack when he tackled Aaron Rodgers for a 15-yard loss in the NFC Wild Card Game in Green Bay (1/8).
- Played in 52 games with 25 starts in 4 seasons at Notre Dame…Career totals included 113 tackles (60 solo), 19.5 tackles for losses, 12.5 sacks, and 3 forced fumbles…In 2015, Okwara played in 13 games with 49 tackles (32 solo), and career-high totals of 12.5 tackles for losses and 8.0 sacks…Recorded a career-high 3.0 sacks (tied for 4th most in school history) vs. Wake Forest (11/14)…As a junior in 2014, he had 39 tackles (15 solo), 4 tackles for losses, 4.0 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles.
- Attended the Giants’ annual Jingle Jam holiday party for 600 New Jersey foster children, who each received winter coats, clothes, athletic equipment and enjoyed a night of dancing and fun activities…Raided awareness for Hurricane Relief in Puerto Rico through Americares during the NFL’s “My Cause My Cleats” initiative in Week 13…Attended the United Way NYC Gridiron Gala, joining teammates and Hometown Hero recipient Damon Harrison to help raise over $2 million in support of the United Way’s efforts in New York City…Played in the Giants Foundation Golf Invitational at Westchester Country Club with foundation supporters, team sponsors/clients and teammates… Engaged in conversation and listened to Martin Luther King III speak in conjunction with RISE about the importance of voting and civic engagement at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center.
- Starred at Ardrey Kell High School in Charlotte, N.C…Played in the North Carolina-South Carolina Shrine Bowl…Moved to the United States from Nigeria as a 6th-grader…Accounting major.